Back and neck pain are rampant and incapacitating, which can get triggered because of medical conditions like disc herniation, spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease. The pain is intensifying and persistent. To combat the pain level, modern medicine has introduced a valuable treatment option known as Epidural Steroid Injections (ESIs).
ESIs are minimally invasive procedures that have gained popularity for their effectiveness in providing relief from back and neck pain. For Epidural injection New Brunswick you can visit Pain & Anesthesia Care. The doctors at the center will discuss how ESI is a valuable adjunct to comprehensive pain management for back and neck.
How ESI injections work?
Epidural Steroid Injections deliver corticosteroids into the epidural cavity, which surrounds the spinal cord and its nerve roots. The injection aims to decrease inflammation and irritation of the nerves, which are often the primary sources of back and neck pain. How it works is not clear but the decrease in back & neck pain is attributed to several factors:
- Anti-inflammatory Effects: The corticosteroids act as potent anti-inflammatory agents by inhibiting the production of inflammatory substances. By reducing inflammation around the affected nerves, pressure on these structures is decreased, providing relief from pain.
- Analgesic Properties: Steroids can directly interact with pain receptors, altering pain perception and reducing the sensation of discomfort. This mechanism enhances pain relief beyond the anti-inflammatory effects.
- Improved Blood Flow: The injected steroids can increase blood flow to the affected area, facilitating the removal of metabolic waste products and enhancing the delivery of nutrients for tissue healing.
Benefits of Epidural Steroid Injections
Epidural Steroid Injections offer several advantages as a treatment for back and neck pain:
- Non-surgical Approach: ESIs are a non-surgical alternative to managing pain, avoiding the potential risks and recovery time associated with surgical interventions.
- Targeted Relief: The injection can be precisely administered to the affected area, providing targeted relief to the specific nerves causing pain.
- Quick Onset of Relief: Many patients experience pain relief within a few days of the injection, allowing them to resume their daily activities with reduced discomfort.
- Increased Functionality: By alleviating pain, ESIs enable patients to engage in physical therapy and rehabilitation, promoting increased mobility and functionality.
As with any injection procedure, there is a risk of infection at the injection site. However, this risk is minimal when performed in a sterile environment at the New Brunswick care clinic.
Epidural Steroid Injections are a valuable tool in the back & neck pain management. By targeting inflammation and irritation of nerves, these injections offer rapid and targeted pain relief for patients.